In this section, national initiatives which have been set up in Italy can be found.
Against pain, an "Hippocratic Oath" for doctors of all specialties
In April 2016, Italian doctors have released a set of ten commitments to treat their patient’s pain, the “Commitment against pain, manifesto of the Italian doctors”.
The set of commitments, which have been handed over to Pope Francis and presented at the United Nations General Assembly, aims to ensure that equality in access to pain care becomes a worldwide priority at health, humanitarian and ethical level.
The ten commitments are addressed to doctors of all specialties.
- I am a doctor and respect the Hippocratic Oath
- I have to treat pain
- I must take care of the suffering that comes from pain
- I have to work for the wellness of the person
- I have to consider essential the quality of care
- I have to commit myself to ensure that access to care to all people is guaranteed, wherever they are born and live
- I have to avoid inequalities and treat all people, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity and religion
- I have to base treatment decisions on the respect of the will of the person and in defence of human dignity
- I have to share and promote the knowledge on pain care
- This is my commitment to improving the quality of life of people with pain
The initiative has been developed thanks to an unconditional grant by Grünenthal Italy.