SIP Portugal Meeting to define Mission and Objectives
Tadeusz Hawrot – SIP National, Portugal
On the 11th of December SIP Portugal met in Lisbon to discuss their mission and objectives and to officially launch another another SIP National platform. The meeting started with Dr. Ana Pedro from APED, also Chair of SIP Portugal, by approving the objectives of SIP PT. The Meeting was attended by Ana Pedro, APED (Chair); Catarina Marques, LPCDR ; Diana Wong Ramos, Portugal AVC; Duarte Correia, APED; Eunice Silva; Graça Mesquita, APED; Ivone Machado, ADDCA; Joaquim Brites, APN; Maria Teresa Flor de Lima, Conselho Científico/ ADDCA; Paulo Gonçalves, SPEM; Rita Tinoco, Grünenthal; Tadeusz Hawrot, SIP; Teresa Vaz Patto, APED
Their mission will be to decrease the societal impact of pain in Portugal by bringing together science & society, whereas the objectives are to:
- Unite all Portuguese organisations and societies advocating for better pain care in order to jointly define and foster pain care policies
- Ensure access to adequate pain treatment for all Portuguese citizens
- Decrease the stigma of pain as an invisible disease
- Promote more research into pain
- Foster prevention measures in order to decrease the number of people affected by pain
Next steps will include writing a Position Paper to outline the burden that pain has on Portuguese society as well as the scope of actions for SIP PT. With this document it will be more efficient to approach relevant stakeholders and it will be finalized with the input of all Platform Members by the end of January 2019.
The key meeting next year will take place as part of the National Day of Fight Against Pain on November 18, 2019. Next meeting of the Platform for the Social Impact of Pain in Portugal scheduled for February 4, 2019.
Please read the complete official report from the meeting of SIP Portugal.