European Code of Cancer Practice
On 23 September, the European Cancer Organisation (ECCO) launched a brand-new initiative for empowering European citizens and cancer patients with ten key overarching Rights, signposting what cancer patients in Europe should expect from their healthcare system. The European Code of Cancer Practice has been produced to assist every person with cancer across Europe to receive the best possible care, treatment, and support. Principles include:
- Equal access to affordable and optimal cancer care
- Information about your disease and treatment
- Quality of Care, Expertise, and Best Outcomes
- Specialised Multidisciplinary Care
- Shared Decision-Making with your healthcare team
- Be informed about ongoing research and eligibility to participate in research
- Priorities and preferences to achieve the best possible quality-of-life
- Integrated Palliative and Supportive Care
- Managed and achievable plan for survivorship and rehabilitation
- Full reintegration into society and protection from cancer-related stigma and discrimination, to return to work and normal life.
For more information read here.
Read also the SIP Cancer Position Paper here.