SIP - A Road Map for Action
Tackling chronic pain in Europe on policy level
During the 2nd symposium on the "Societal Impact of Pain", which took place in the European Parliament in Brussels on 3-4 May 2011, a "Road Map for Action" was adopted and officially presented to Members of the European Parliament and the EU Commission.
The policy instrument lists seven concrete policy dimensions on how to tackle chronic pain in Europe. It is directed towards the EU institutions, as well as towards governments and decision-makers of EU Member States. More information you can find in the corresponding SIP symposium press release.
1. Acknowledgement of pain as an important factor limiting the quality of life;
2. Availability of information and access to pain diagnosis and management;
3. Increased awareness of the medical, financial and social impact that pain and its management have;
4. Increased awareness of the importance of prevention, diagnosis and management of pain;
5. Enforcement of pain research;
6. Establishment an EU platform for the exchange, comparison and benchmarking of best practices;
7. Trend monitoring in pain management by using the EU platform.
Here you can find the complete Road Map for Action.